THURSDAY - JUNE 20th
MOUNT VERNON STONE CABIN
484 PARK ROAD
"Our Members, Volunteers, and Friends
are our most valuable assests"
|| Bullskin Township Organizations
Cub Scout Pack 164
The Cub Scout Pack 164 was organized in 1969 by the Bullskin Township Lions Club. The Pack and its leaders have been involved with the guidance and nurturing of boys grades one through five for the past 37 years.
The Pack meets at the Bullskin Township Elementary School once a month. Individual Dens meet weekly or bi-weekly depending on the leader's schedule. The Cubmaster is Michael Mussleh.
The goals of the Cub Scout Pack include keeping Cub Scouts advancing on to becoming Boy Scouts and encouraging new boys to sign up and join in on the adventures of scouting. The leaders try to positively influence character development, develop habits and attitudes of good citizenship, and they encourage good sportsmanship. They strive to show the boys how to be helpful and to do their best.
The Cub Scout Pack has faithfully performed the Flag Ceremony during Bullskin Township Community Days.
Bullskin Township Historical Society
The first meeting of the Bullskin Township Historical Society was held on October 10, 1996. From its inception, the Society has been dedicated to the preservation of area history and the restoration of various landmarks and historic sights in Bullskin Township. The Society's vision is to help preserve our communities heritage and history for future generations.
In an effort to celebrate our heritage and spark interest in our unique community, the Society began a "Heritage & Community Days" celebration. It was held the first Saturday and Sunday in June at the fairgrounds. It is now held in October at the site of the Mount Vernon Iron Furnace near Wooddale, PA.
The current project is the stabilization and restoration of the Mount Vernon Iron Furnace near Wooddale. The furnace is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Bullskin Township Lions Club
The Bullskin Township Lions Club was chartered on May 11, 1977. The primary program of the Lions Club since 1916 has been aid for the visually handicapped. This came in answer to a challenge by Helen Keller to become knights of the blind through their Sight First Programs. Bullskin Lions have supported these programs from the start and it has raised and donated over a half million dollars to community programs, with the emphasis on Youth Programs, Disaster Relief, Scholarships, Local Fire Departments, Community Ministries, etc. The Club has also performed more than 12,000 hours of community service. Their service is enjoyed and appreciated by many in Bullskin Township.
Bullskin Township Lioness Club
The Bullskin Township Lioness Club was organized in October 1984. The Bullskin Township Lions Club served as sponsors of the Lioness Club. The Lionesses contribute to the services the Lions support.
One of the mainstays of this support has been dedicated to eye sight. The group collects used eyeglasses that are sent to help the needy in foreign countries. Local causes include donations of food items to the Connellsville Community Center. Money is given at Thanksgiving and Christmas for Chicken and Turkey for those who are in need. Gloves, hats, and scarves are collected for children and toys are collected for Toys For Tots. Socks are provided for needy boys and girls at Bullskin Township and Springfield Township Elementary Schools. The Bullskin Lionesses also help the local Lions Club with their Children's Christmas Party. One very special project involves the Lionesses giving Spinoza Bears to children in our area with a critical illness. This bear has a tape deck in its body with nine tapes with messages to help the children cope with their illness.
The group raises funds with bake sales on Election Day, the sale of Rada Knives, Garbage Bags, and at Christmas they sell Koeze Nuts.
Bullskin Senior Citizens Center
On a Sunday in the spring of 1988, more than 500 people gathered to officially open the new Bullskin Senior Citizens Center. The club actually began with an idea four years earlier. In February 1984, a group of Bullskin Seniors met for the first time at a Valentine's Luncheon hosted at the Paradise Church at the suggestion of its then pastor, Reverend David Evans.
Much hard work and dedication have gone into the development of the Senior Center, its grounds, and its many programs. Some of these programs include Various Health Screenings, Dinners, Bingo, "Cars & Share" Group, Recycling, Fundraisers, Musical & Variety Programs, and Trips to Many Interesting Place. Classes have been offered in Painting, Crafts, and Computers. In addition to these activities, the day to day fellowship and sharing have played a very important part in the lives of our communities Senior Citizens.
Pleasant Valley Grange #1957
The Pleasant Valley Grange was organized March 23, 1928. The first meeting was held at the Pennsville Baptist Church at Cross Roads. The name Pleasant Valley Grange was selected over the names Mountain View Grange and Wooddale Grange. Meetings were held for a time at the Order of Independent Americans Hall at Wooddale. (This was the Masonic Lodge which was located behind the old red brick house on East Keefer Road - the lodge no longer exists) The monthly rental for the hall was $3. The group sponsored the first Community Days on October 20, 1928 at the Pennsville Baptist Church. It was then agreed that the Grange would sponsor Farm Bureau Activities in Bullskin Township.
On April 6, 1929, Charles and Retta Winebrenner conveyed one acre of land to the Grange at its present site. Ground breaking ceremonies took place on April 20, 1929. Excavation and construction continued throughout the summer. The cornerstone was placed October 18, 1929. The first meeting which was held in the new building was the celebration of the 2nd year anniversary of the Grange on March 22, 1930. The annual Community Days Fair was held in the basement of the Grange in the fall of 1930. Due to the growth of the Fair and the need for additional buildings, the Pleasant Valley Grange Community Fair Association was chartered in March of 1937.
Over the years the Grange has served as a polling place, meeting place for the Boy Scouts, Family Reunions, Wedding Receptions, 4-H Club Work, and even the home of the Wooddale Bible Brethren Church for several years.
Sadly in 2010 the Grange had disbanded and the Bullskin Fair bought the Grange Hall building.
Pleasant Valley Lions Club
The Pleasant Valley Lions Club was chartered in 1992 by the International Lions. From the groups inception, members have strived to fulfill the motto for Lionism, "We Serve".
The Pleasant Valley Lions support eye research as well as research in the areas of blindness, diabetes, and hearing. Other causes in which they are involved are the Leader Dog Program and Beacon Lodge, a camp for the blind and physically impaired. They support local projects as well. A scholarship is sponsored yearly for a deserving senior of Connellsville Area Senior High School. Contributions are made to aid many who have been affected by disasters and hardships of various kinds.